Brig. Gen. Drew E. Dougherty is the Assistant Adjutant General, Air, Maryland National Guard, Baltimore, Md. In his capacity, he serves as the principal advisor to the Governor and Adjutant General of Maryland on all matters pertaining to the Maryland Air National Guard. General Dougherty also serves as the Commander of the Maryland Air National Guard, ensuring the readiness of more than 1,300 personnel, prepared to execute both federal and state missions. Additionally, he serves as the Strategic Planning System Atlantic Region Chair and is a member of the Steering Committee for the Air National Guard.
General Dougherty was commissioned upon graduation from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1998. He earned his aeronautical rating at Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training in May of 2000. During his time on Active Duty he served as an A-10 Flight Commander at Osan AB, Korea and a Course Commander, RAF Valley, UK, while on exchange flying British Hawks with the Royal Air Force. General Dougherty joined the Maryland Air National Guard in 2008. Prior to his role as Assistant Adjutant General, Air, he served as an Evaluator Pilot, Instructor Pilot, Director of Operations, Fighter Squadron and Group Commander. Prior to his current assignment, General Dougherty was the Chief of Staff for the Maryland Air National Guard.
In his civilian capacity, General Dougherty is a pilot with Southwest Airlines. He has more than 4,900 military flying hours, including over 900 combat hours on 6 contingency deployments in the A-10A and A-10C, supporting Operations SOUTHERN WATCH, ENDURING FREEDOM, INHERENT RESOLVE and FREEDOM’S SENTINEL.
1998 Bachelor of Science in Business Management, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2006 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2013 Intermediate Development Course (IDC), Air National Guard Readiness Center, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
2013 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., by correspondence
2018 Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., by correspondence
2020 Commander Development Course (CDC), Air National Guard Readiness Center, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
2020 Safety & Accident Investigation Board President Course, Air National Guard Readiness Center, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
2022 Senior Leaders Course (SLC), Baltic Defense College, Riga, Latvia.
2022 Joint Task Force Commander Training Course, U.S. Northern Command, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1. May 1998 – May 1999, Instructor/Assistant Program Manager, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2. May 1999 – May 2000, Student, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance AFB, Okla.
3. Jun 2000 – August 2000, Student, Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, Columbus AFB, Miss.
4. August 2000 – March 2001, Student, A/OA-10 Pilot Initial Qualification Training Course, 357th Fighter Squadron, Davis Monthan AFB, Ariz.
5. April 2001 – April 2004, A-10/OA-10 Flight Lead, Forward Air Controller, Battalion Air Liaison Officer, Combat Search and Rescue Liaison Officer, Scheduling Officer, 354th Fighter Squadron, Davis Monthan AFB, Ariz.
6. April 2004 – April 2005, Instructor Pilot, Flight Commander, 25th Fighter Squadron, Osan AB, Korea
7. April 2005 – April 2008, Instructor Pilot, Course Commander, 19 Squadron, Royal Air Force, Valley, UK.
8. April 2008 – August 2013, Chief of Training, Flight Commander, Assistant Director of Operations, 104th Fighter Squadron, Warfield ANGB, Md.
9. August 2013– August 2016, Director of Operations, 104th Fighter Squadron, Warfield ANGB, Md.
10. June 2016 – June 2018, Commander, 104th Fighter Squadron, Warfield ANGB, Md.
11. June 2018 – May 2019, Deputy Commander, 175th Operations Group, Warfield ANGB, Md.
12. May 2019 – Sept 2020, Director of Operations, JFHQ, Maryland Air National Guard
13. Sept 2020 – October 2021, Commander, 175th Operations Group, Warfield ANGB, Md.
14. October 2021 – August 2022, Director of Operations, JFHQ, Maryland Air National Guard
15. August 2022 – Jan 2023, Chief of Staff, JFHQ, Maryland Air National Guard
16. Feb 2023 – Present, Assistant Adjutant General, Air, Maryland Air National Guard
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 4,900 including over 900 combat hours
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38A, British Hawk, OA-10, A-10A/A+, A-10C
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with ten oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air and Space Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air and Space Achievement Medal
Meritorious Unit Award
Air and Space Outstanding Unit Award with Valor Device
Air and Space Organizational Excellence Award
Combat Readiness Medal with three oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal
Air and Space Overseas Ribbon Short
Air and Space Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border with two oak leaf clusters
Air and Space Longevity Service with five oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with 1 'M' Devices
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
Air and Space Training Ribbon
Maryland National Guard State Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 27, 1998
First Lieutenant May 27, 2000
Captain May 27, 2002
Major January 1, 2008
Lieutenant Colonel June 28, 2012
Colonel July 31, 2019
Brigadier General September 27, 2022
(Current as of April 2023)