CHIEF MASTER SERGEANT JAMES A. BOTTORFF
CMSgt James A. Bottorff is the 175th Wing Command Chief, Martin State Airport, Baltimore, Maryland. CMSgt Bottorff serves as the key enlisted advocate and advisor to the Wing Commander on operational effectiveness and training of the Wing’s enlisted Airmen. CMSgt Bottorff is a key member of the command’s leadership team and works with other enlisted leaders to include the State Command Chief, Group Senior Enlisted Leaders, and First Sergeants concerning enlisted matters. CMSgt Bottorff advises the Wing Commander on enlisted promotions, recognition programs, and awards and decorations. CMSgt Bottorff participates in the Wing Force Management Plan for all enlisted members and is responsible for the professional development of over 1,400 Airmen. As the wing’s First Sergeant Functional Manager, CMSgt Bottorffoversees the First Sergeant program, to include the selection process and the Wing First Sergeant Council.
CMSgt Bottorff began his military career when he enlisted with the United States Air Force as an Aerospace Maintenance Apprentice in April 1994. CMSgt Bottorff completed Aerospace Maintenance technical school training at Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas, in June 1994 and Financial Services technical school training in June 1996, when he earned a 100% course average and received the Distinguished Graduate Award for academic excellence.
Upon his return from technical school, CMSgt Bottorff worked in a variety of positions including Military and Travel Pay Specialist, Deputy Disbursing Officer, and Financial Management and Services Non-Commissioned Officer in Charge. During this time, CMSgt Bottorff deployed on four separate occasions in support of Operations Joint Forge, Northern Watch, Enduring Freedom, and Iraqi Freedom. CMSgt Bottorff served as Chief of the Conversion Team Support Branch, Air National Guard Readiness Center (ANGRC), Joint Base Andrews, Md. where he was responsible for executing the Site Activation Task Force schedule as determined by the Director of the Air National Guard. Prior to accepting his current position, the CMSgt served as the Mission Support Group Senior Enlisted Leader, 175th Wing, Martin State Airport, Baltimore, Maryland.
1997 Non-Commissioned Officer Leadership Development Course, Selfridge Air National Guard Base, Mich.
2000 Non-Commissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., by correspondence
2003 Bachelor of Science Degree, Public Administration, Central Michigan University, Mt. Pleasant, Mich.
2004 Master of Business Administration Degree, Strategic Management, Davenport University, Warren, Mich.
2005 Senior Non-commissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2009 Doctor of Business Administration Degree, University of Phoenix, Phoenix, Ariz.
2009 Diversity Champions Leadership Workshop, Dallas, Texas
2009 Human Resource Advisor Orientation Course, Dallas, Texas
2013 Associate of Science Degree in Financial Management, Community College of the Air Force, Montgomery, Ala.
2013 Air National Guard Chiefs Executive Course, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
2013 Senior Enlisted Joint PME, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va., by correspondence
2013 Reserve Component National Security Course, Washington, D.C.
2015 Contemporary Base Issues, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
2016 Senior Enlisted Joint PME II (E7-E9), Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va., by correspondence
2018 Continuous Process Improvement Course, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, N.C.
2020 Air Force Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, N.C.
2020 National and International Security Leadership Seminar, Washington, D.C.
2021 Air Force Enterprise Perspective Seminar, Washington, D.C.
2022 Executive Level Diversity and Inclusion Course, Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
1. April 1994–May 1994, Student, Basic Military Training, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
2. May 1994–June 1994, Student, Aircraft Maintenance Technical School, Sheppard AFB, Texas
3. July 1994–May 1995, Aircraft Maintenance Apprentice, 709th Air Refueling Squadron, March AFB, Calif.
4. May 1995–May 1996, Tool Kit Monitor, 605th Aircraft Generation Squadron, McGuire AFB, N.J.
5. May 1996–March 1997, Financial Management Helper, 927th Air Refueling Wing, Selfridge Air National Guard Base,
6. March 1997–March 1999, Travel Pay Helper, 927 ARW, Selfridge ANGB, Mich.
7. March 1999–February 2002, Financial Management and Services Supervisor, 927 ARW, Selfridge ANGB, Mich.
8. February 2002–September 2003, Financial Management Comptroller Technician, 927 ARW, Selfridge ANGB, Mich.
9. September 2003–October 2008, Financial Manager, 927 ARW, Selfridge ANGB, Mich.
10. October 2008–September 2009, Financial Manager, 110th Fighter Wing, Battle Creek ANGB, Mich.
11. September 2009–October 2014, Human Resource Advisor, 110th Attack Wing, Battle Creek ANGB, Mich.
12. October 2014–November 2015, Chief, Enlisted Programs, Joint Forces Headquarters, Mich.
13. November 2015–November 2018, Chief, A3 Conversion Team Support Branch, Resources Branch Chief, A2/3/6/10,
Joint-Base Andrews, Md.
14. November 2018–August 2020, Operations Group Superintendent, 175th Wing, Martin State Airport, Md.
15. August 2020–December 2022, Mission Support Group Senior Enlisted Leader, 175th Wing, Martin State Airport, Md.
16. January 2023–Present, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 175th Wing, Martin State Airport, Md.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Army Achievement Medal
1995 605th Aircraft Generation Squadron Outstanding Airman of the Quarter
1995 Honor Graduate, Financial Management Technical Training
1996 Distinguished Graduate, Financial Services Technical Training
1997 927th Air Refueling Wing Outstanding Airman of the Quarter
1997 927th Air Refueling Wing Outstanding Airman of the Year
1997 4th Air Force Outstanding Airman of the Year
1997 Air Force Reserve Command 12 Outstanding Airmen of the Year
2005 332d Air Expeditionary Group Outstanding Non-Commissioned Officer of the Month
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
175th Wing Chiefs Council, Treasurer
Enlisted Association of the National Guard of the United States, Member
National Guard Association of Michigan, Lifetime Member
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Airman April 13, 1994
Airman First Class Feb. 13, 1995
Senior Airman Sept. 1, 1996
Staff Sergeant May 1, 1998
Technical Sergeant May 1, 2000
Master Sergeant May 1, 2002
Senior Master Sergeant Dec. 1, 2009
Chief Master Sergeant Feb. 1, 2013
(Current as of January 2023)